I'm amazed...
There are only a few days a year here we can fly the American flag, but you can bet that on those days, many people go all out. I mean ALL OUT. Which seems fairly ordinary back home; here, it's a feat! I mean, you only get 2-3 days to display your patriotism with American-themed stuff. So they make it count, storing stuff, ordering things online, or picking things up at the only store here that sells American patriotic products.
I can honestly say that I didn't realize how much I enjoy that junk until I was told I couldn't do it on my terms. Imagine it like this... don't think about your shoes. Don't think about how they fit, their color, where you got them, or which outfit they match best. Don't! So... what are you thinking about? Exactly. I wasn't mad; I wasn't even surprised that I couldn't do it... just surprised at my reaction. All I thought about was how I'd decorate my house, hanging bunting and flag-related garb from anything that would stand still long enough.
Now, realistically, I don't decorate this way. I've no idea how to hang bunting, and though I've never bought any, I'm sure if I were to do so, my Sohlmate would make me remove it... he's a patriot, just not the overtly decorated, outdoor music-blaring type. But back home, I do have the freedom to do it in just about any way I choose.
Nonetheless, I find that Independence day means more to me this year than in years past. We in the states are so free to... whatever. We can dress, we can eat, we can think, we can say, we can print, we can decorate, we can... whatever, however, whenever (obviously within limits of our democratically determined laws).
What's even more interesting is that we've taken that freedom to a "whole 'nutha leevel," as Pastor Ed Young says. We are free to challenge each other on what we're free to do, and when we're free to do it.
I'm so thankful that there are so many who are committed to the idea of fighting for our freedoms that they sacrifice their family time, their individualism, and the idea most Americans have of independence, to defend ours. I'm thankful that I have the independence to decide for myself whom I think will do the best job of deciding what the right path is for our nation, and I'm thankful that person can be me (should I completely lose my mind) if I want to try. I'm grateful for the freedom to pray at anytime and any locale for those selected to choose the direction our country will go. I'm grateful for the ability to choose just about any thing I'd like to do - work or not; be in the military or not; go to school or not; have children - lots or a few - or not.
It's an amazing freedom we have, and I'm thankful that we have so many who willingly volunteer, many multiple times, to serve to protect, defend, educate, and heal our country.
Happy Independence Day! Celebrate how you'd like: it's a free country!
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Thank you and your family for serving our country. I wish you could fly your flag any ol' time you pleased. I'll fly mine extra for you. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary on the 4th, then taking separate vacations. love and miss you
It is ofen said you do not appreciate what you have until you can't or don't have it. You are experience this first hand.
This whole new part of your life will continue to change your view of life. It will give you challenges and new opportunites. It will mold not only you but your relationship with your Sohlmate and deeply impact your children.
I think of you every day. I wish I could be right there to share this wonderful adventure with you. But being the strong and confident woman you are I know that you will not only handle what ever comes your way, but show the world what a wonderful gifted woman you are!
We miss you more than you can imagine. Again - it's the fact the I can't just pickup the phone and call anytime. I have to think about the timing.
Enjoy your Holiday. Fly that flag high. Be proud of those close to you who have helped keep that freedom that many take for granted.
Love you! MOM
I LOVE this post! You are so gifted at "articulating" your thoughts. You know how jealous I am of that quality! This is such a great reminder of the freedoms we take for granted. Happy 4th Sohl family. And thank you for serving in another country in order to protect our freedom back home. We love you!
Amen sister!!! I feel so bad because I haven't done a single thing for July 4th except for play with Noah and play on the computer!
Okay, you totally sound like an officer's wife here! I love it. I will try to call you tomorrow morning! Thanks for the time info!!! GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been wondering how you like it there. It sounds nice and i'm jealous.
Use "soy" from "ser" for more permanent characteristics "I am" such as tall or short or blonde or skinny or evil/good/mal/bueno.
"Estoy" (estar) for temporary and/or emotional states "Estoy triste/feliz/enojada/celosa/.
you'll find your niche. In fact, you're already in it. You've only to look around and arrange the shelves. freedom rules. hi to dave and cartermeister.
Hi Janel!
Sorry I'm so late in catching up on your writings! It's been a CRAZY month. I just got back from Canada myself. Wonderful, busy, all-too-brief trip. Should be posting pics soon.
LOVE this posting of yours. I completely relate, from a Canadian's perspective. Not that I'm not free to fly the Canadian flag in the US, but I don't think it would be well-received all year round. I do put it out there on Canada Day (July 1st) & feel more patriotic than ever, living down here.
At the same time, I relate as a temporary "American" (as my family teases). I can't help but appreciate this country for all it's afforded me... opportunities in my chosen career, friends like no other, & a church & spirituality unlike I've ever had before. The US will always hold a special place in my heart, even as I make plans to leave.
I'll wrap it up now... can't wait to read your other posts (I'm reading in order... I'm so anal!).
Hope the Sohls are doing well!
Blessings,
Robin
xo
Post a Comment